Saturday, January 2, 2016

Welcome to Sand Dollar Design

Sand Dollar Design Studio: An Introduction

I'm fascinated by sand dollars, those neatly decorated sea coins, part sand, part shell, with their flowery designs, adorning the ocean floor.  Even after the creature inside the shell has lived out its life, the husk hardens, bleached white by the sun, retaining the ocean's spirit always.  They're almost fairylike.


Sand Dollar Design Studio is a one-woman outfit featuring hand-crafted jewelry, bags, and home decor, all inspired by the beauty of the beaches and seascapes of the Bahamas, my home. 

 Take me on an ocean's wave ride...sailing away.
Stunning hand accessories  that spins the ocean's sound while wearing it.
A Sand Dollar Design Studio Item 


Anyone who knows me know that I'm passionate about the color purple, so not only does this bag combine my favorite color purple with the bright ocean color of Aquamarine, this clutch was the very first bag pattern I created.


My home studio began as a hobby, and morphed into a home business when my accumulation of beads and fabric started getting out of hand: beading books practically breeding on the kitchen table, beads always underfoot, fabric sprawling over the dining area, and patterns stacked three feet high on every chair.  When hobbies start to take over the house, the only choice is to start selling the excess, right?

Even though my first trade show was a sad affair (fifteen tables in a stark white church rec room with fifteen long-faced vendors, no customers, and two or three dusty tumbleweeds rolling by), the creative spirits never left me.  "Stitch, bead, weave," the sand dollar whispers to me.  The sand dollar could just be a plain, flat disk on the ocean floor.  Instead, it bears a delicate design etched into its exterior with care, that takes it from a plain bottom-dwelling cousin of the sea urchin and transforms it into a beachside masterpiece that, for me, symbolizes the islands: beauty that is both detailed and striking.

When I feel something's complete, I like to take a step back, then look again and ask myself, what else can I add to this?  What would give it a wow factor?  What would make it extraordinary?


I invite you to follow me and to stop back in often at Sand Dollar Design Studio for beach-themed beauty featuring warm hues and ocean tones.  Stop in for shared patterns, favourite fabric designers and their new lines, and to follow my amazing creative journey.  See you soon!

1 comment:

I would love to hear from you! Please leave your comment below and have a "Super~Fantastic" Day.